Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Something Troubling in Arizona...

Arizona officials want immigrant teachers with heavy accents removed from classes for students still learning English.

How blatant, how severe, how unjust must the persecution of Latinos in Arizona become before the far right joins liberals, moderates, and independents in expressing outrage?

I would like to believe that there are enough people with basic human decency that we would be witnessing a widespread outcry against the persecution of Latinos in Arizona. The fact that what is happening there is deeply morally wrong should be the only thing that matters.

Assuming that this simple fact isn't adequate to the task of inflaming the indignation of the average Joe and Jane, however, perhaps a statement - written by Pastor Martin Niemoller during the Holocaust - will do so. Although its common sense appeal focuses on self-interest rather than fighting for what's right, the message it conveys is still extremely powerful.

THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

No comments: