Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chat about Israel

I have far more to tell about my adventure in Israel than any blog post could contain. As such, I hope you will be satisfied with the "Caves of Midras" story and this one, in which I chat with one of my friends from the tour group about the legacy that experience had on my sense of identity.

Matthew
How was your flight back to America?

Kate
nice-i just got back from israel
so sad
it was fine


Matthew
I'm kind of glad to be out of Israel.
It isn't that I'm not proud of my Jewish heritage, but I don't feel at home there.
America is my home.
Or if you want to be very specific, the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania and the New York-New Jersey metropolitan area are my two homes.
lol


Kate
ya i get it...i felt the same way
i loved it but not home for sure


Matthew
They were definitely trying to impart on us the idea that this was our home.


Kate
well ya our home in the sense of jews

Matthew
A critical part of the Zionist ideology (at least among the more radical elements) is that all Jews are, on a fundamental level, only "home" when they reside in Israel.


Kate
like you can always go there and be amongst your people
doesn't mean you will feel at home there


Matthew
Those who dwell in other countries are thus perceived as being exiled.
To me, though, I consider Americans to be my people.
Being Jewish is an important part of my identity, but it doesn't define it.
I view my relationship with Israel similarly to how an Irish-American views his relationship with Ireland - it's a place where I have a strong ethnic connection, but ultimately, it isn't the land with which I identify myself.
Am I making sense or being too preachy?
lol
Sorry if it's the latter.


Kate
no i totally agree
i feel the same way


If you want to learn more about my trip to Israel, just visit:
http://www.askmeinpersonandincaseyouhaventfigureditoutthisisntarealwebsite.com/

No comments: