Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Silly Facebook Quote Game 2 - Part 2 of 3

QUOTE ONE:

Matthew Rozsa
For three-hundred-and-sixty-seven points, tell me who said:
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."
2 hours ago ·

Christina Cruz
Poe!
2 hours ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
Right again, Christina!
2 hours ago ·

Christina Cruz
Ok, Im gonna stop playing for a while, or Im gonna get too into this.
2 hours ago ·


QUOTE TWO:

Matthew Rozsa
For four-hundred-and-eighty-one points, who said:
"The work that is really a man's own work is play and not work at all. Cursed is the man who has found some other man's work and cannot lose it."
2 hours ago ·

Allison Rose Frederich
mark twain!!!
2 hours ago ·

Allison Rose Frederich
thank you for entertaining me at work btw :)
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
Distracting the workers of the world is just one method I use to "stick it to the man". ;-)
about an hour ago ·

Allison Rose Frederich
That's right Matt, take 'em down one person at a time!
about an hour ago ·


QUOTE THREE:

Matthew Rozsa
For four-hundred-and-seventy-three points, tell me who said:
"There is not a liberal America and a conservative America -- there is the United States of America. There is not a Black America and a White America and Latino America and Asian America -- there’s the United States of America."
about an hour ago ·

Allison Rose Frederich
I believe that the president said this
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
You need to give me a name. For all I know you are an admirer of Gerald Ford and always refer to him as "The President".
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
Yes, I really am that much of a stickler.
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
Obama?
about an hour ago ·

Allison Rose Frederich
Mr. Barack Hussein Obama, president of the united states oif america...specific enough?
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
OK, I'm genuinely conflicted here. On the one hand, I know that Allison was aware of the correct answer; then again, Christina was the first person to actually put down a name. I'm going to weasel my way out of this by splitting the points in half and giving one part to each of you. For future reference, though, put down names.
about an hour ago ·

Allison Rose Frederich
I don't mind sharing the points....however, there is only one president....everyone else is a former president lol
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
Actually, I am so in love with Franklin Roosevelt that I always consider him to be "The President". Obama is simply the guy trying to live up to his legacy, and everyone else is a "former president".
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
For the record, I didnt see Allison's awnser before I put mine, but I dont mind sharing points.
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
Lol, I totally agree with you Matt. FDR was amazing.
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
There are only a handful of other men who I would dream of considering as "The President":

- Thomas Jefferson
- Andrew Jackson
- Abraham Lincoln
- Grover Cleveland
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Lyndon Johnson
Barack Obama MIGHT join that list, but he has to earn it.
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
Jefferson

Lincoln
T. (Theodore's conservation work and corruption crack down was great) & FDR (For obvious reasons)
Andrew Jackson (although I dont necessarily agree with the brutality of his policy, still he gained an immeasurable amount of territory and thus, natural resources for a fledgling nation among other things)
LBJ (Im glad to hear he's on your list, most people discount him cuz of Vietnam but I feel indebted to him for his great work with Civil Rights)
Kennedy
Clinton
Those are my main people but I do give credit to Wilson although history isnt too kind.I dont know enough about Cleveland although Im sure you could enlighten me :)Im still on the fence about Obama too, we'll see what happens.
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
Oh! and Adams, cant forget Adams!And Washington of course.
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
I include Jackson for his instrumental work in establishing the foundations of modern American economic liberalism and Johnson for his War on Poverty and Great Society programs (as well as his monumental work on civil rights). I agree that Washington belonged on my list, and apologize for neglecting to include him. John Kennedy, though respectable
, wasn't quite great enough to warrant inclusion; Clinton is grossly overrated, and I blame him immensely for selling out to the centrists; Adams, though a great man, made some horrible mistakes as president (Alien and Sedition Acts, anyone?); and while I have enormous respect for Wilson's achievements both in foreign policy and as a progressive on domestic issues, his implementation of racially regressive policies and his curtailment of civil liberties are too much of a blight on his legacy to be overlooked.
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
Yes, Adams made some mistakes, but keeping us out of a war between France and England although there was immense pressure on him to do the opposite is probably why America still exists, it would have crushed our economy that was already struggling as it was. Clinton, I think its probably more of a cultural thing for why I like him, he helped alot
of struggling poor, although he did set a bad welfare precedent that backfired somewhat. Kennedy I include mostly for his work with Civil rights and for stalemating impending nuclear destruction on the US and stopping an active war with Russia (of course the Cold war was passive and he did escalate that with Vietnam.) Our reasons are different but I think in the end they are good reasons for our views.
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
I don't dispute your command of the facts, but I think it fundamentally comes down to how each of us weighs the respectives pros and cons of the different leaders. Fundamentally, these are subjective judgments.By the way, my support for Grover Cleveland can be found here:
http://riskinghemlock.blogspot.com/2010/02/argument-for-grover-cleveland.html
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
Thanks, I'll take a look.
about an hour ago ·

QUOTE FOUR:

Matthew Rozsa
This ancient leader, right before shuffling off this mortail coil, wryly declared:
"Alas, I am becoming a god."
The person who identifies this man will not become a god, but he or she will receive a god's share of points - SIX HUNDRED!
about an hour ago ·

Jon Gorga
Alexander the Great?
about an hour ago ·

Allison Rose Frederich
Ah, I am glad I'm not getting my Masters in Theatre for nothing....this degree is helping me in Matt's quote game...I believe its Roman leader Vespesian...ancient roman theatre mentions him
about an hour ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
And the crowd goes wild! Allison Frederich is dominatin'!!!!
about an hour ago ·

Allison Rose Frederich
WOOOOOO ...I'm surpring myself
about an hour ago ·


QUOTE FIVE:

Matthew Rozsa
For ONE THOUSAND (and one-half) points:
Historian Henry Adams (great-grandson and grandson to John Adams and John Quincy Adams) once praised this state by observing that, had every other part of America been swept out of existence, "democracy could have better spared them all than have lost _________."
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
Pennslyvania?
about an hour ago ·

Christina Cruz
Thats the only on that makes the most sense.
about an hour ago ·

Megan Humphreys
West Virginia!
57 minutes ago ·

Matthew Rozsa
Christina got it! The current score is:

Christina Cruz - 2191.1
Allison Frederich - 2074.3
Megan Humphreys - 300
57 minutes ago ·


For Part Three:
http://riskinghemlock.blogspot.com/2010/02/silly-facebook-quote-game-2-part-3-of-3.html

No comments: